Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Day 14

For Day 14, I went to a movie by myself. There's a weird stigma about people going to the movies alone, and I think people fear it more than they need to. I've only gone by myself to a movie once before, and honestly I don't mind it at all. I think that all depends on what film you chose though. I chose Lee Daniel's The Butler, something I've been wanting to see since it came out. If it was say a thriller, maybe a Seth Rogan film, I'd want a buddy with me to share the experience, but this one I felt perfectly comfortable seeing with myself.

There's something about going out by yourself that encourages others to talk to you, something I really appreciate. For example, the nice man who takes your ticket stubs at the entrance who had to put on his glasses to read my ticket. He told me it was a great movie choice and we started a conversation about how it is in his top give movies of this year. If I had been with someone else, I'm sure he would have been perfectly kind and still compliment our choice of movie, but since I was alone I felt comfortable responding back with more than a thank you, and instead asked questions back. I think we all need to do this more often. There are so many people in this world we will never speak to, and it's refreshing to make a connection with a stranger, even if it's just for a minute.

Although I felt a little uncomfortable about going to the movies alone at first, it made me feel a sense of confidence once I actually went. I did not feel lonely, and the movie was wonderful. It was just a small, insignificant action, but this kind of thing is exactly what I had in mind when starting this project.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment