Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Day 13

For Day 13, last night my sister and I took our mom out for dinner, our treat. We went to Salut, a really great wine bar near my apartment. I get to spend a good amount of time with my mom, and I try to see my sister as much as I can, but it's more rare for the three of us to get together at the same time, so it was nice to all catch up.

There was another reason for the dinner yesterday. We had to tell my mom about the tattoos we got together yesterday. My mom has never been a fan of tattoos, in fact she hates them (although I think she's secretly becoming more and more accustomed to them), and we knew she was not going to take it well, despite the fact that we have been talking about these tattoos openly for over a year. We feel bad about her reaction, but like she told us last night, we are adults and they are our bodies.

And as promised to my many avid readers (aka no one), here are the pictures of what I got.

The matching Z my sister and I have

A little finger tattoo I've been wanting for awhile

My mom was upset about how large the Z tattoo is. She thought we were going to get some small dainty Z and was upset at how large it turned out. And she says my finger tattoo looks like dirt (which I actually find humorous). I understand her reaction, it can't be easy to see the life she created permanently marked with ink, something her generation still views as trashy. But I'm very happy with my little tattoos, and they are meaningful to me and to my sister. It's a bond my sister and I will always have together, and I do not regret getting them.

Regardless, this conversation was beneficial to myself in that I am glad I can be honest with my mom. I did not want to hide these things from her, which we easily could have done to avoid this conversation, but I am glad we have the type of relationship where even if she is mad at us for the next few days, she loves us enough to get past something she doesn't agree with.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment